Campbell Rental Increase Dispute Program
The City of Campbell encourages property owners to limit rent increases to fair and reasonable amounts, provide greater than minimum advance notice of increases, limit the number of rent increases in any one year to as few as possible, provide well maintained living units, discourage retaliatory evictions, and cooperate with their tenants toward resolving any disputes.
Campbell renters or rental property owners may contact the Campbell Rent Mediation Program at (408) 243-8565 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. for information and counseling regarding their rights and responsibilities under California tenant landlord law and the Campbell ordinance.
Renters or owners of complexes with four or more units are also eligible for conciliation and mediation through the Rent Mediation Program.
Disputing a rent increase or service reduction
- A tenant must first contact the owner/manager and make a reasonable, good faith effort to resolve the dispute.
- If that effort does not resolve the dispute, the tenant may open a case by filing a petition with the Campbell Rent Mediation Program (petition forms are supplied upon request).
- If the petition is for a rent increase, the petition must be filed within 15 days of the effective date of the increase.
- If the petition is for a service reduction, a service reduction form must be filed with the petition forms.
- Once the Program receives the petition, a copy of the petition is mailed to the property owner/manager, for review. Then, the administrator of the program will contact the property owner/manager to begin dispute resolution discussions.