R-1 Permit

Information Sheet for R-1 Encroachment Permit - Owner Occupied

All work within the public right-of-way requires an Encroachment Permit.  The R-1 Encroachment Permit is intended to assist owners of single family homes perform minor work in the right-of-way in front of their primary residence.  Minor work is defined as improvements costing less than $10,000, does not require any engineering, and is to be performed by a homeowner (or their selected contractor) in front of the homeowner’s single family residence.  This type of permit would be required for any homeowner who wishes to remove/replace curbs, gutters, sidewalks, driveways, or install street trees in front of their primary residence.  

R-1 Encroachment Permit Application Package

An application for a R-1 Encroachment Permit must contain the following items:
  • Completed application form – read and signed on front and back. 
  • One (1) copy of a drawing showing the location, extent and dimensions of the work. The drawing shall show the relation of the proposed work to existing improvements. When approved by the City Engineer said drawing becomes a part of this permit.
  • Proof of residence / owner occupied status.
  • Copy of Homeowners insurance.
  • Payment of fees.
  • Faithful Performance Deposit.
Upon receipt of the complete permit application package, the drawings will be reviewed by the Engineering Division staff.  The Engineering Division staff will review the drawings to ensure conformance with City standards and any approved site plans.  A minimum of five working days should be allowed for this preliminary review.
Following the preliminary staff review, comments will be returned to the applicant for any changes.  Comments may ask that additional information be submitted for review, or that additional information be shown on the drawings.    

R-1 Encroachment Permit Issuance Requirements

Prior to any work commencing in the public right of way, the following items must be submitted to the Engineering Division, and an encroachment permit issued for the construction of proposed improvements:
  • One set of drawings stamped “APPROVED FOR CONSTRUCTION” by the City.  
Upon completion of the items above, the encroachment permit will be issued.  PRIOR TO BEGINNING ANY CONSTRUCTION, THE APPLICANT MUST REQUEST AND ARRANGE A FIELD MEETING WITH THE PUBLIC WORKS INSPECTOR.  Contact the City’s Public Works Inspector at 408-866-2150 two working days in advance to schedule the required field meeting.

List of Attachments