Encroachment Permits

Right-of-Way Protection

Protecting the public right-of-way during construction is one of the primary responsibilities of the Public Works Department. All work performed in the public right-of-way requires an Encroachment Permit of one of the following types:

  1. Utility Encroachment Permit - this includes all utility companies (PG&E, AT&T, San Jose Water, West Valley Sanitation District, Comcast, etc.).
  2. R-1 Encroachment Permit (single family residential; home owner occupied)
  3. All other Encroachment Permit

 Examples of work requiring an Encroachment Permit include:

  • Traffic lane and/or sidewalk closures (some routine maintenance activities exempted)
  • Potholing
  • Installation of utility mains and services (water, sewer, storm, gas, electric, telecommunications, etc.)
  • Construction of sidewalks, curbs, gutters, and driveway approaches
  • Installation of street trees, landscaping in the park strip
  • Shoulder pavement work (San Tomas Area Neighborhood)
  • Installation of street lights, traffic signals
Encroachment Permit Information

Encroachment Permits typically require that contractors procure and maintain for the duration of the contract insurance against claims for injuries to persons or damages to property which may arise from or in connection with the performance of the work by the contractor, his agents, representatives, employees, or subcontractors. Insurance meeting the City’s minimum insurance requirements must be in place prior to issuance of an Encroachment Permit.

Encroachment Permits also require a cash deposit or bonds to ensure that the work done in the public right-of-way is completed in accordance with the City's requirements and the permit that has been issued.

Please note that all Encroachment Permits must be on the job site at all times.

In some cases, the City may also require a property owner to execute an Agreement for Installation of Private Improvements in the Public Right-of-Way.

Click the type of Permit that applies:

  1. Utility Encroachment Permit (one per utility)
  2. R-1 Encroachment Permit - (single family residential; home owner occupied)
  3. All other Encroachment Permit
Additional Information
If you have additional questions regarding whether or not your project requires an encroachment permit, or what type of permit is applicable, please contact the Public Works Department at (408) 866-2150 or via email at PublicWorks@cityofcampbell.com.